Monday 30 October 2017

Installing Windows 10 on a HP Elitebook 745 G2 which has a blank hard drive

Hi,

Hoping someone can help out, I've trawled the internet and I'm not finding the solution. I'm quite experienced with hardware and software but I've been away from Windows for a long time and I'm really struggling.

I've got a HP Elitebook 745 G2. I believe it was originally installed with Windows 7 but the HD failed and I've just installed a brand new SSD.

I've created a Windows 10 USB boot disk (a few different ways, but essentially with the ISO from MS).

After a massive mess around trying to find the right BIOS options (USB3 / Legacy / UEFI / CSM etc) I've managed to get a USB stick booting, I get to the first screen which asks me to 'install windows 10', then I get a prompt suggesting that it doesn't have the relevant drivers it needs.

I've tried downloading the HP SoftPaq for this model for Windows 10 and extracting it to a second USB stick, the only 'installable' driver appears to be in the 'Realtek' folder, however, once I select this I get a progress bar that goes to 100% then restarts and repeats. The only way out of this loop is to power off the laptop.

What is the correct procedure for installing Windows 10 from the ISO on a clean disk? HP discusses recovery media and software kits but none of these are appropriate because either I have to order Windows 7 DVDs from HP or I have to have a Windows 10 install running on the laptop so I can create the recovery disks (which I don't have as it's a brand new HD).

I'm suspecting that there must be some driver files somewhere that I can copy to the USB stick to get moving but, having tried that, now I'm not so sure.

This machine will boot Linux no problem so I can assume it's fundamentally working.

I can't believe in 2017 this is really that complicated? How come Windows 10 doesn't have sufficient driver support for a 2 year old laptop?

Can anyone offer any advice specific to this model of machine?

Many Thanks

Andrew



Submitted October 30, 2017 at 05:15PM by andrewtayloruk http://ift.tt/2yYE6nU

No comments:

Post a Comment