Tuesday 31 October 2017

Get USB Parallel Activation Dongle to register as LPT1

So I have a piece of software that is running on a server, and this has a parellel port activation / security dongle to allow paid features. I have since virtualised this server to running on ESXi, but its new home has no parallel port.

After phoning support people (who frankly didn't seem to understand what I meant when I said server) they said to pick up a USB/Parallel converter, which I was skeptical about but have done. Plugging in from the box hasn't worked, and my current logic is that it being a legacy piece of software is only checking LPT1 (which of course doesn't exist).

Is there a way to cast this USB dongle to the LPT1 port? It appears in device manager as a USB device. Most of what I've searched is about getting a network printer to work and hasn't worked for me.



Submitted October 31, 2017 at 05:10PM by ThatAdamsGuy http://ift.tt/2z1B9mF

No comments:

Post a Comment