Monday 30 October 2017

Apartment’s WiFi nightmare, suggestions?

So I’ll try to make this concise. I’m not great with dealing with wireless connections, and have always had my own router through a leased modem. My new apartment complex off-campus has a system through a company called Korcett where to connect to WiFi, you enter the device’s wireless MAC address on your Korcett account, then it allows access to the connection to that device. The max speed they have is 10 mbps upload/download, which is the first problem. My 2 roommates being on their phones at all or anything on the WiFi renders Xbox Live almost useless and down to 2-3 Mpbs. I have a small simple router in the apartment that the company put there with an Ethernet cable coming from an unseen router through the wall, most likely somewhere a bit more distant in the building.

Here’s the issue: we get fined $200 if we’re caught with our own router.

My fix, thinking I’d get a warning if I got caught just to test the waters, I put an old Netgear router connected to the unseen modem’s Ethernet cable, and registered the Netgear router’s MAC address on the Korcett website. A week later before I left for class, a KORCETT REPRESENTATIVE knocked on the door, saying he saw my unit had been disconnected and he’d like to check it. This is at 10 am while both my roommates are gone and every electronic is turned off, so he re-plugs it in and does a SpeedTest and of course gets 8.5-9.5 mbps, because nobody was here. He says to leave it plugged in and don’t touch it and left.

How do I get a more reliable connection while theoretically working their system? Will my Netgear router being plugged in if I did a quick switch be detectable? Anything else I could get that could boost my signal or possibly even up my speed without the company and landlord flipping shit? Already talked to the complex about the poor speed, said there’s nothing they can do and this is their system.

Any help or ideas are appreciated. Thanks!

And here’s the Korcett website for more clarification



Submitted October 30, 2017 at 11:18PM by bencain7 http://ift.tt/2gNYaRG

No comments:

Post a Comment