Saturday 29 July 2017

Voices cutting out at random intervals (Packet Loss?) while using VoIP programs.

Hi there guys.

Had a little problem with a new router we recently got given from our ISP. The model is the Technicolor MediaAccess TG589vac v2. It's a step above our last router which was kind of getting to the end of its shelf life - but there is one problem. This new router seems to struggle in handling VoIP packets correctly. For some reason the voice applications I've tried (Skype, Curse, Discord) will have people randomly cut out when speaking (although, apparently they can hear me).

My theory is that the router is struggling to process VoIP packets specifically which is leading to packet loss. I think the solution would be to pop into the QoS settings and set up some kind of ruleset to prioritize VoIP packets but I have no idea how to do this with the new router. The documentation is no help at all.

Additionally I've disabled all NAT Helpers available just to see if one of these was causing the interference but apparently this is not the case. Are these generally okay to have on? The only one I know which I directly correlates to voice chat programs is SIP but turning this on or off provides no difference in quality.



Submitted July 30, 2017 at 02:57AM by VincentOfEngland http://ift.tt/2tSNkCY

No comments:

Post a Comment