Monday 31 July 2017

Is there any way to get a better internet connection with the materials I currently have? If not, what am I gonna need to buy?

I've always dreaded having to do network stuff, because it's one of the tech subjects I happen to know next to nothing about. I guess this is my baptism by fire, because there's no moving on without this. So, I recently moved, and whereas I used to have the house modem in my room for an ethernet connection to my PC, that is no longer the case. My room isn't easy to access and there's absolutely zero way to run an ethernet cable in, so for the time being I'm forced to use a shitty, horrible USB wifi card that takes hours to do simple tasks. I guess it helps me for now, but the PC is crippled and limping, and this is by no means a permanent solution.

So I found a spare router that I thought could be used to connect to the home network wirelessly, and figured I'd just ethernet it directly to my PC? I plugged it in and plugged the ethernet into my PC. It reads that the router is there, but doesn't actually pick any network up. Is there some way to configure that router and connect it, or am I gonna need to buy a wifi extender? I'm not sure what the best course of action is. The router is a Verizon MI424WR, if that helps at all. I've read the online manual, but it doesn't help much.

What's my best course of action for getting a connection good enough to play games and make calls?



Submitted July 31, 2017 at 01:52PM by SneffWeejus http://ift.tt/2tQmIhM

No comments:

Post a Comment