Saturday 29 July 2017

Seagate 2TB Internal HDD not showing in BIOS after cable management, despite working prior

Hello everyone. Forgive me for the formatting, as I'm typing this all from my phone, and am worried a bit. Earlier today, I was doing some internal maintenance on my PC, and starting clearing dust from the inside. One thing led to another, and I spent most of the day re-cabling the system to make it look neater. Now, though, the computer will not see the HDD as a boot device, causing it to stop working. I've confirmed it's not the cable itself, as I plugged in my CD drive using the same SATA data and power cable, and it shows up when connected. When I first attempted to power on, I used a Type 4 cable for the hard disk instead of a SATA, and I'm worried this might have fried the connector board.

For specs, it's a Windows 7 Professional 64 bit running on an Asus Z97 Pro motherboard with 16GB RAM and a Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 2GB graphics card. I can confirm it was all working earlier today. Now though, I think my fiddling might have caused me a lot of headache. Also, as a request for information, if the connector board is fried, how can I salvage it? Could I buy a new board somewhere, or try something else? I have an image of the system from about 2 weeks ago on a backup drive through Macrium, and not many changes have occurred since then. I don't have a recovery media with me, but I could make one on another computer. Sorry for the rambling, but this computer means a lot to me, and I'm freaking out.



Submitted July 30, 2017 at 10:30AM by Quick_Question404 http://ift.tt/2hcB9uG

No comments:

Post a Comment