Sunday 30 July 2017

Did I purchase a faulty graphics card?

Hey techsupport!

I am beyond frustrated after two days of work, and would absolutely love any help with this issue.

I have an Alienware Aurora R4 desktop. Windows 10 - Intel i7-3930K CPU 3.20GHz, 6 cores CN-07JNH0 Baseboard (I think it's also called X79) 16GB RAM - W299G 875W PSU GeForce GTX 580 graphics card

I purchased an Oculus Rift for my computer, and a compatibility tool said that I only needed an upgrade to my graphics card to run it. I purchased an EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 card from Amazon to run it.

After updating the BIOS to A11, I could finally get to my desktop screen with the new card. I updated the drivers and attempted to run some VR. The computer seemed slower overall, but it worked. It worked for a short while anyway until it slowed my computer down gradually to the point of freezing entirely. This happened a few times, and would even happen while just sitting at the desktop. When it froze, the screen would have strange lines scattered around (picture in comments).

I swapped back to my 580 card, and everything ran fine. I again went back to the 1080 to find that the screen would only boot to a black screen. No logos, no anything. The monitor power light remains green like it's receiving something, but it's just black. I went back to the 580, restarted in safe mode, and ran a DDU to clean out the drivers so that I could maybe reinstall them with the new card in. After putting the 1080 in again, it still met me with a black screen.

I'm close to giving up because it feels like I've tried everything, but I know there's got to be something I'm missing. The computer should run fine with the 1080, right? Or is the card bad? I'm open to trying anything!

Thanks for your time!



Submitted July 30, 2017 at 05:44PM by Ludoxon http://ift.tt/2vV7ycD

No comments:

Post a Comment