Saturday 29 July 2017

Computer shut down by itself and will no longer POST

I apologize in advance for the long post and possible missing information. I'm on my phone using the Reddit app to post this. I originally posted this on r/buildapc

i7-3930k 3.2 ghz not overclocked Asrock x79 xtreme4 mobo 16 gb corsair vengeance ddr3 ram (2 sticks) Gigabyte extreme gaming gtx 1070 8 gb Windows 10 pro Corsair rm750i power supply

My computer is about 5 years old and was running fine this morning when it shut off on me while playing a game. First thought it was a power outage but my monitors were still on. After resetting my surge protector, I tried turning my computer on again but I would see the led light and fans turn on for a second before it shut off again. After trying a couple more times and getting the same result, it ended up in a loop where it would just keep turning itself on and off again until I flipped the power supply switch off.

I unplugged everything and opened her up. I blew out what dust I could. I checked the capacitors to see if any of them had distended and then I checked all power and connection cables to see if anything was loose. Same issue. I unplugged everything, the video card and hard drives leaving only the fan cables. Reconnected the power supply, which is only a couple months old, back to the mobo but still got the same issue. Used the cmos reset button to no avail. After some phone googling, I realized I had forgotten to reseat the RAM as well. Reseating had the same result. My mobo has 4 slots, 2 on either side of my processor. They were currently on the right side so I removed both of them and moved just one to the left side. At this point there is nothing connected to the mobo but the power supply and one 8 gb stick of RAM. I used the mobo power switch and the computer stayed on and only gave a debug message of d6, which means it could not detect a video card, which was correct. Turned off my computer and moved the same RAM to the second slot on the left side. Still turning on fine. I added my second RAM to the remaining slot on the left side and still everything seemed good.

I started connecting everything back, testing it in between adding a component back and still everything seemed good. Was starting to think I just needed to move my RAM. I installed my video card last and tested again. It stayed on but still displayed the same dr. debug message of d6, but thought it might be because I currently didn't have my card connected to a monitor. My video card is also only a few months old.

I closed her up and connected all my usb and monitor back but though it stayed on the monitor didn't get a signal. Mobo was still giving me the same message so I reset the cmos again but still no signal. I unplugged my monitor and usb and went to install my old video card, a gigabyte r9 290 4 gb, that I never had problems with. After I removed my 1070, I decided to check first that my computer would still at least stay on with just RAM and my hdds connected, but now I'm back to square one where it won't stay on or loops again. I've moved each RAM to each slot with same results.

I went and got a cx750m power supply from best buy just to see if my power supply had failed but I'm still getting the same results. Wishing I had bought a new cmos battery and extra RAM to check those as well but I'm starting to think my mobo might finally have given out since moving my RAM helped only a little. I'm really hoping it's not the mobo though and would appreciate any advice on what else I might be able to do. IF you guys think it's my mobo, I wanted to know if it's worth getting another lga2011 socket mobo since I don't want to buy a lot of new things when my computer was running great until this morning. I saw newegg has an x99 mobo that I assume would still fit my processor and would mean I don't need to reinstall everything I have but that was 200 bucks, something I don't want to have to spend but I assume would still be cheaper than getting a new processor and mobo.

Thanks in advance.



Submitted July 30, 2017 at 09:01AM by malakengago http://ift.tt/2vi5Bda

No comments:

Post a Comment