Monday 31 July 2017

Restoring partition table of HFS+ partition

My sister has an old mac, along with an HFS+ harddrive that had pictures etc. on it. I made a stupid attempt to mount the disk with the appropriate read/write rights from my Linux partition before making a full image of the disk. Something went wrong in the mounting procedure, which corrupted the partition table. I immediately made an image of the disk to not do any further damage.

Running photorec does recover a ton of files, so my hunch is that the bulk of the disk is OK, and that I really only messed up the partition table. I have tried to fix the partition table using fsck on my Debian machine. It did make an attempt to fix the disk, but in the end returns 'Invalid B-tree node size'. I then also tried testdisk, which finds partitions, but is unable to fix anything as it concerns an HFS+ partition. It suggests the use of parted to rescue the disk, but since it is a disk image and not a mounted partition I am not sure how to proceed. I have mounted the image and opened it in parted, but in parted I cannot find a way to proceed.

I have access to an iOS machine if I need to, although I don't own one myself (the laptop that disk belonged to no longer works). Does anyone have experience with a similar problem, or does someone know how to proceed?



Submitted July 31, 2017 at 03:10PM by BBQspaceflight http://ift.tt/2vkGAOG

No comments:

Post a Comment