Saturday 30 December 2017

System running fine but only when outside of chassis?

Disclaimer: I've posted this before but at a bad time of day. Hoping this will get more traction.

So, for almost half a year I've had this crashing issue with my PC. It would run fine for days or even weeks without crashing and then randomly, without any decernible cause, freeze up or give me a blue screen. Once this happens, it will crash again but instead of taking days it'll take hours. The frequency of the crashes increases until I cannot even boot into windows.

I've tested out pretty much every component to remedy this and at this point I'm certain that it is a hardware issue. Most notably when taking my PC apart to swap parts, there are no crashes while I run my system open air; outside of the case. This is the only method that consistently got rid of the crashes for me. Swapping components would only temporarily solve the issue til a week or so later when the cycle starts again. Also interesting to note is that I've taken the system apart and put it together three times by now. So this isn't some ESD caused by a random screw just laying in the case. Something's up with the way my hardware interacts with my case and I have no idea what it could be.

Additional info:

  • Case: Fractal Design Define Nano S (ITX)

  • Mobo: Asus Z170i Pro Gaming

  • PSU: Corsair SF600 with cablemod extensions mounted with a Silverstone SFX to ATX bracket



Submitted December 30, 2017 at 09:47PM by TheDarksideofSnow http://ift.tt/2CsTsCI

No comments:

Post a Comment