Saturday 30 December 2017

CPU Issues

Operating System

Windows 10

Computer Specs (PSU, GPU, CPU, RAM, Motherboard)

  • 970A-UD3P (rev 2.0) (in build) and DS3P (rev 2.1) (troubleshoot stuff)
  • FX-6300 (x2)
  • 4Go x 2 G-Skill Ripjaws DRR3 1600 Mhz PC3-12800 (in build) and 4Go x 2 Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1600 MHz PC3-12800 (troubleshoot stuff)
  • 460 RX 4Gb
  • EVGA 500B 80+ (in build) and W1 500W 80+ (troubleshoot stuff)

Speccy Link

N/A

Description of problem

Hi,

I posted here a month ago about a no POST issue that turned out to be fixed by changing the CPU. Took a while to diagnose (went to two repair shops, one told me it was the GPU and the other thought the mobo), but after buying parts I ended up figuring out it was the CPU. Changed it, the system booted and was used regularly for a week or so. I had a minimal issue that would cause my PSU to do a strange noise every once in a while but when I flipped it (was looking down so i put it up), it strangely enough fixed it. I was monitoring my temps with HW to make sure nothing was gonna blow up again and everything seemed fine at first, but I began to experience freeze that would require hard reset (mouse was disappearing and sounds would stop) and could happen at any time. The last one was fatal and the computer would no longer POWER this time. Leds and fans flickers for a sec or even less, but that's it. Was pretty sure the PSU was dead so I tried with a spare one I had bought for the previous issue but in vain. I began to test different combos and ended up trying both Mobo with the previous CPU aswell. It would power with it (still no post but hey, that's at least something), but not with the recent one. Tried switching PSU/Ram but the issue remained and only switching CPU would change something. Now that I now what's the problem, I would like to understand what causes it and prevent a third chip to blow up for nothing. Could it be the PSU? A short in my Mobo? My heatsink fucking it up?

Thanks for your time.

When this issue began

When changing CPU

Recurring issue

Yes

Date of purchase

About a week ago

Under Warranty

Yes

Cause/Steps to recreate the issue

Haha I don't recommend you do, for your sake and mental health.

What I've tried so far to resolve the issue

  • Reset CMOS (battery and jumper)
  • Hold power for a min while PSU unplugged
  • Unplugged HDD
  • Took out GPU
  • Tried the components of out the case (for all that's below)
  • Changed PSU (and paperclip test both)
  • Changed motherboard
  • Switched Ram and slots
  • Put back an old CPU that would not POST


Submitted December 30, 2017 at 11:34PM by Haeflyth http://ift.tt/2ClKNo3

No comments:

Post a Comment