Sunday 31 December 2017

fixing windows boot issues without bios access (tell me about it :/)

I have a very annoying situation that kind of requires a specific answer so here goes.

I have a HP zbook mobile workstation that i saved from being recycled at work. problem being its a pro model which severely locks down the bios without password which IT will not give me.

Enter issue. even though it wont boot to usb as is, i managed to install win10 without much issue by reusing a previous hdd with the install already on it but screwed up by not doing win7-win10 for a digital license. I figured id install windows on the 2nd hdd but use the assistive loophole for my license.

well now i have 2 installs of windows 10 pro. one thats activated and one that isnt. seems weird the license doesnt carry over but the boot records (or whatever, heres my problem) reside on the unlicensed drive.

removing the unwanted drive also removes my ability to boot at all. so without bios access, can i repair the 2nd drive to boot on its own?

many thanks in advance.



Submitted December 31, 2017 at 07:40PM by TurdFerguson416 http://ift.tt/2BYrCxd

No comments:

Post a Comment