Sunday 31 December 2017

Windows 10 update. Now my computer wakes from sleep to a frozen snowy-static screen.

New to this subreddit, I hope I don't break any rules. I've tried Google and the search bar here and haven't seen a solution yet, so I apologize if this has been asked before.

I have a Dell Inspiron 5759 laptop that's only about a year old, set up at a desk with a second monitor. As you know, Windows 10 forces updates on you, which I find pretty obnoxious. After trying to delay the most recent update as long as possible, it snuck itself in and updated automatically. Since then, every time my computer goes to sleep it wakes up to a frozen static screen, like on a TV. Only from sleep, not startup. So I've had to hold the power button down and reboot to get out of this screen

The most common solution on google is to roll back the display driver. I have two on my Dell: AMD Radeon R5 M335 & Intel(R) HD Graphics 520. Neither of these can be rolled back, suggesting there is no previous version to fall back on.

I don't know what to try at this point. One solution would be to power down when I leave my desk, instead of closing my computer, but that gets annoying quickly and the frequent startups probably aren't that good for it(?).

Anyone who has any advice, I'd love to hear it. Thanks in advance!



Submitted December 31, 2017 at 07:56PM by Jolcski http://ift.tt/2C4BINf

No comments:

Post a Comment