Sunday 31 December 2017

i7-6700k, EVGA GTX 1080, 32GB Ripjaws 4 2400 mHz, 960 gb Sandisk Ultra II SSD randomly freezes while gaming

  • i7-6700k at default - about 1.3 average an 4GHz
  • NH D15 CPU Cooler with both fans on exhausting out of the top
  • EVGA GTX 1080 SC2 ICX - Not overclocked in the top slot
  • 32GB Ripjaws 4 2400 mHz - Currently only running with 1x8Gb stick at 2133 Mhz since I thought this might be the problem initially, Ram has never hit 2400 with the XMP profile on
  • Z170A MSI Krait Gaming Motherboard, revision 1 XMP with 8 sticks of Ripjaws 4 has never worked
  • 960 gb Sandisk Ultra II SSD - RMA'd last year around this time when it randomly died on me
  • NZXT H440 case with 4 default fans, 3 intake 1 exhaust out of the back
  • EVGA 750 Watt PSU, can't remember off the top of my head, I think its a G2 it's definitely Gold, has been in my computer for about a year now

All settings are at default, ram is at 1.2V 2133, only 1 stick is in right now since at first I thought it might be a Ram issue so I checked all sticks in all 4 slots and the problem persists with all sticks in all slots. I had a slight OC on the CPU (4.4GHz) for a while but didn't need the extra power so set it back to default about 6 months ago. I have never had an OC on the GPU since I have never needed it, only about 6 months old (I game at 60Hz 1440p usually while doing something else on another monitor). GPU drivers are up to date, all core temps and mosfet temps on the GPU are well within spec.

At this point I am thinking it's temperature related because if I take all of the panels off my tower it doesn't happen for much longer than if I leave the panels on an "hotbox" my components. Even when I do this the CPU and GPU temperatures never exceed 75C, I have repasted the CPU since it's been about 2 years since I put the paste on, hasn't helped. I'm guessing MOBO problems since XMP has never worked properly (figured it was a problem with quad channel ram), Ram has almost never hit 2400 unless I set it to 2333 and 103 BCLK, never with XMP on.

It always freezes and never BSOD, the only errors in event viewer at about registry problems (certain things not starting because they don't have administrative permissions), and Kernel Power from the hard shutdowns. When it freezes it always leaves behind an image (hence how I was able to get temperatures at the time of freeze, and it almost always gives terrible noise through my headphones).

The games I am having problems with at the moment (the only games I am playing actively) are Runescape 3 and Far Cry 4.



Submitted December 31, 2017 at 08:59PM by _Zell http://ift.tt/2lrdnLk

No comments:

Post a Comment