Wednesday 28 February 2018

Task Manager says disc usage at 100%. Is my drive failing?

  • ASUS Prebuilt Desktop.
  • Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-3570K CPU @ 3.40GHz
  • Ram: 8 GB
  • System type: 64 bit operating system, x64 based processor
  • Windows 10 Home, version 1709, OS build 16299.192
  • Forgot to grab the video card specs before I left for work, I can get that later if needed. Recently replaced Radeon something or other.
  • HD specs in screenshots below

A problem I had been noticing recently that seemed to slowly be getting worse. Computer starting to get sluggish. Initially I noticed background processes on task manager maxing out all 8GB of Ram with nothing else running.

Lately I've been on Kerbal Space Program kick and I started noticing problems with gameplay. Game freezes every 1-2 minutes for 5-15 seconds. Super annoying. I turned all the graphics down and the problem persists.

So I decided to try to fix the RAM issue. So I tweaked a few things, following some on line guides. What ended up fixing it was disabling SuperFetch. RAM usage seems like it might be a little high but at least it's not maxed out all the time.

Problem still persisted with the game. At which point I noticed my Disk usage is now stuck at 95-100% at all times. I can't be certain weather or not this was happening along side of my previous RAM issue. I didn't notice, it could have been that I was just preoccupied with the RAM thing because I at least semi understand what's going on there.

So now I've tried a bunch of things, again following online guides. I'll try to list the things I remember here:

  • Temporarily disable Windows Search (nothing)
  • Disable SuperFetch (previously done) fixed RAM issue but not Disc issue.
  • Perform a disckcheck - Tried twice on reboot. Disccheck appears to start but then quit after a few seconds and brings me to the login screen. (nothing)
  • Reset Virtual Memory (nothing)
  • Uninstall Google Chrome (nothing)
  • Advanced windows defender scan (nothing) - My Malwarebytes appears to be expired or something.

Things I have not yet tried:

  • Fixing StorAHCI.sys driver
  • Update device drivers
  • Additional antivirus software scans
  • Re installing Windows 10

I was reading some posts there in /r/techsupport and decided to do some HD scans before proceeding with other things. Windows defender seems to think my device is healthy.

So before i potentially waste my time doing a bunch of other things culminating in the reinstall of Windows 10. Is my drive dying? Is this something that can be repaired? or should I be replacing the hardware.

Thanks in advance for any insight you guys can give. I am a Red Seal Journeyman sloped roofer come see me over at /r/roofing if you need any help troubleshooting your roofing issues.



Submitted March 01, 2018 at 01:36AM by Sloth_love_Chunk http://ift.tt/2t2OWKa

No comments:

Post a Comment