Wednesday 28 February 2018

MP4 files corrupt somehow? Screen recording looks fine when viewing in VLC but shrinks to 1/4 of the player with the other 3/4 being green (screenshot included) when viewed in QuickTime or edited in iMovie, also making Premiere crash

Brief backstory: I use Nvidia GeForce Experience to record video (shadowplay?) where I can press a hotkey and it will save the previous 3 minutes of gameplay to an mp4 file on my computer. I like to use this for highlights if something crazy happens in a game.

I had a few clips while playing Battlefield 1 tonight that I was going to cut together in Premiere (which I am a novice at using) to make a little highlight reel to send to a friend. In the preview window when it was paused it had a bunch of weird stuff going on with it being distorted with green overlays or something. When the video was playing it was perfectly fine. Well, Premiere crashed twice and I gave up and decided I'd put the video files on my external and put them on my laptop to cut together in iMovie which I am much more experienced with. After seeing the thumbnail with a bunch of green I was confused and opened the files in QuickTime where I was met with this. I figured maybe it was QuickTime being weird so I put them in iMovie and have the same thing. I then opened the files in VLC and they're perfectly normal, just like they looked when I viewed on my PC in VLC.

TL;DR mp4 files from screen recording are showing up like this in QuickTime and iMovie, and are making Premiere crash (could potentially be a different reason for it crashing) but look completely fine in VLC on both my PC (Windows 10) and on MacOS



Submitted February 28, 2018 at 02:31PM by Envowner http://ift.tt/2CLQlVf

No comments:

Post a Comment