Wednesday 28 February 2018

Old socket 775 mobo now dropping video repeatedly, needs BIOS reset to work. Same hardware worked for 3 years, no problem, now happening monthly.

Asus P5QL, Socket 775 board with no on-board video. I've tried a few different old GPUs, both Asus & Nvidia, problem occurs with all cards, IIRC. To fix I just pull the CMOS battery, but a long-term fix eludes me. None of my BIOS settings regard the video so I don't know why going back to the default is required to make it work again, but that is the biggest clue I have.

It's a 9 year old machine and therefore ripe for an upgrade but with an SSD and 8GB RAM it runs Win10 plenty fast for browser-based apps which is all it does, so I'd rather not spend the money if I can help it.

Thanks in advance for any insight or experiences to share.



Submitted March 01, 2018 at 03:31AM by frank_mania http://ift.tt/2F0tV4t

No comments:

Post a Comment