Tuesday 27 February 2018

Got BSOD, now PC bootloops on POST, can't access BIOS

EDIT: OK, so this seems pretty silly, but I disconnected a USB hub from the PC and it decided to boot normally. I'm going to do some further testing with this, because I'm not sure how a USB hub that has otherwise been working normally for years would suddenly take down my entire PC, but hey, at least I didn't have to spend any money to fix the problem!

Original post:

Windows 10

EVGA GTX 1080

i7 6700K

ASUS Maximus Hero VIII

Was using the PC normally, not playing any games or anything, and got a sudden BSOD that indicated dxgmms2.sys was the problem. Took about 3 minutes to log the crash, then rebooted... but it won't get past the initial screen. I get picture on the screen, keyboard lights up, CPU fan comes on, but the machine won't allow me to access the BIOS. There is one single "BEEP" during POST, which I believe indicates normal operation. I tried taking out the GPU and the problem persisted. I also tried pressing the CLR_CMOS button, but also to no avail.

The overall build is only a couple years old, and the PSU is under a year old.

One other thing of note is that I used to hear an audible, singular "click" when the PC booted, which I'm guessing was happening when giving power to the CPU, but I don't hear that now.



Submitted February 27, 2018 at 09:05PM by Daveed84 http://ift.tt/2otZrkX

No comments:

Post a Comment