Thursday 31 August 2017

S.O.S. I've been had, all the way through, it feels like.

It was finally time to replace my faithful White MacBook. So, I bought a 2013 13' MBP w/Retina from a nice dude on Facebook Marketplace a while back. He exchanged all info, was very personable and met me in public. Bought for an inconspicuous amount and came home. Had a fresh install ready to boot from USB.

Upon waking the comp up and seeing what looked like an empty desktop, I shut it down and restarted holding OPTION. All of a sudden, I'm being asked to enter a 6 digit numerical code. I think, "Well shit, dude had one of those lockout codes from when he set it up." No problem. I'll call him.

The phone he called from is dead and has no voicemail. He blocked me/ or deleted himself off of Facebook. It was at this point I began to feel reeaal naive. I did research and after figuring that the guy sold me a stolen book, I called the fuzz. Let them know what was going on and asked if they had a serial number reported that matched my new brick. They didn't and they still don't.

This was some time ago and I've since researched like crazy to find at a least a solution that won't leave me out half a grand. New Jersey has a place that supposedly replaces EFI chips on locked computers. Heard there was one in Dallas. I'm assuming that's the problem after having read all the links I've come across.

Apparently, Apple is of no help at all without a form of original receipt so as to combat theft. I feel completely SOL at this point. Reddit, being my source of GOOD info from society, this here is my cry for help. Does anyone know of any solution at all to this shit show I've bought myself into?



Submitted August 31, 2017 at 05:38PM by ultrahateful http://ift.tt/2xAN1Le

No comments:

Post a Comment