Wednesday 30 August 2017

Do RAM frequencies matter when adding more RAM?

Hello techsupport.

I'm looking to upgrade the RAM in my 4+ year old laptop, but I'm having trouble understand what I should buy. Currently my laptop has two DDR3L slots with a 2GB Micron Technology 667MHz chip and a 4GB Hynix 667MHz chip.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to hardware, but if I understand correctly I should buy RAM in a DDR3L module (what are these things actually called? Forgive my weird terminology). However, I can't find any with a 667MHz frequency to match what I already have. All of the modules I've found online or in stores have a much higher frequency, like 1333MHz or 1066MHz. I'm sure this is because my laptop's hardware is relatively old and technology has improved since I bought it.

So I guess I have a few questions: 1. Does the frequency matter? Can I install a RAM module with a higher frequency than what my laptop is used to without any problems? 2. Do I have to replace both slots? I was only going to replace the smaller since I don't think I need more than 8gb of memory.

For reference I'm using a HP ENVY TouchSmart m6-k022dx Sleekbook. Thanks.



Submitted August 31, 2017 at 02:51AM by iothel http://ift.tt/2x70bSv

No comments:

Post a Comment