Thursday 17 May 2018

Accidentally swapped 2 customer hard drives, 1 holding the other hostage. Help?

I did a job for someone about 4 years ago--I don't really remember the details but apparently the laptop was a brick, I took it apart and futzed with it and it continued to be a brick. I did this as a favor--was not paid for it.

At any rate, a friend of mine reached out to me the other day (who I had done work for around the same time), having received a call from this other individual, who had apparently taken their old laptop to a big box computer repair place, paid some money to get the data off the hard drive, and realized that it wasn't their hard drive, but that of my friend.

The friend had had me transfer data from their old computer to a new one and I evidently put their old hard drive into the other computer.

Now the person with their hard drive is sort of trying to shake my friend down as well as me--demanding that the fee that they paid to the big box computer repair place be paid and I find and provide their hard drive (from 4 years ago). I'm hoping that I can find their hard drive, give it to them, pony up the money, and get my friend's hard drive back.

HERE'S MY QUESTION:

If I don't find the hard drive in question, and the person decides to be nasty--do I have any recourse to keep them from getting the hard drive back from the big box computer repair place? It is currently with them.

TL:DR; accidentally put my friend's old hard drive into someone else's busted computer 4 years ago. They recently went in to have the hard drive data pulled and are trying to hold it hostage. Can I keep them from getting it back?



Submitted May 17, 2018 at 09:54PM by RememberU2U https://ift.tt/2L70eSG

No comments:

Post a Comment