Thursday 17 May 2018

Disabled Secure Boot, Stuck in Grub Rescue

I had deleted Kali Linux about a year ago and kept getting a Secure Boot Violation which I eventually ignored since I was able to reach Windows anyways. Fast forward and I've done a clean install in hopes of addressing some bad blocks in my HDD. My 100% disk usage was "fixed" (at least for a day until Windows Update and superfetch went haywire).

As a genius I decided to turn off the Secure Boot option in the BIOS menu since I was sure this might help me somehow.... Now im stuck in the grub rescue screen.

I did some googling and read about booting with CD/DVD/USB but im currently unable to make one where I am. I do have the flash drive I used to do the clean install for Windows 10 but the grub rescue says no media found. Is there anyway of just going back and magically enabling Secure Boot again and go about my way or am I SOL?

Few things you might want to know: The Kali Linux partition is no more. Back in the day I had to do the ls/set prefix/insmod etc.but that no longer works (probably because the Kali partition was cleared). The only computer I might have access to is a PS4.

Bonus Question: What would be the fastest/reliable way of marking bad blocks? I tried chkdsk but it lasted half a day and it didn't do much of anything but then again I might've botched it up somehow.

Thank you for reading.



Submitted May 17, 2018 at 07:45PM by Deepwoodwastaken https://ift.tt/2InYdDY

No comments:

Post a Comment