Saturday 30 September 2017

Unable to Install Any Linux Distro Properly

Hello everyone, I'm currently having a problem with my laptop. Due to a class in college, I'll have to install Linux on it (to be able to work on a project without going to the college to use their PCs). They claim "we'll be on our own" if we do it with Windows, which means we can try it, but if anything goes buggy (which according to them, it will) we're toast.

I first tried installing Ubuntu Gnome 16.04, which ended up freezing on load. Then I managed to install Ubuntu 16.04 LTS...which had various issues that I wasn't able to resolve - the touchpad didn't work, it froze on shutdown/restart, but more importantly it didn't run Minix on Virtual Box (it's a core part of our class to interact with it via Eclipse) due to kernel problems (me, friends and a teacher spent two hours trying to fix this and came to the conclusion that I should just try re-installing a different version of the OS).

Then Windows 10 stopped opening, and after a lot of trouble I was forced to just fully reset the computer after backing up important files. I clean installed Windows 10 which is working properly, but now I tried installing Ubuntu 17.04 and it has all of the issues of 16.04 plus it doesn't connect to the internet (despite cbeing connected to the wifi). I also tried installing Linux Mint 18.2 but it froze while loading the OS.

I've installed Ubuntu successfully on other PCs without any hassle, and they all worked fine. I'm doing all of these installations with the same USB, which has worked on all others. To even install 16.04 LTS or 17 I had to include "acpi = off" in the install settings (otherwise, it would freeze while loading the OS). I also both tried it with creating the partitions for Linux beforehand and without doing so, with the same results. My computer is pretty recent, it's the ASUS GL552VW, and it doesn't have any disk problems to speak of currently (though it had to be shipped to ASUS once to replace the SSD).

Any tips? I was wondering if there was any distribution of Linux that would be favorable to run alongside W10 that would actually run properly. I don't think I can run it in VirtualBox on Windows, considering that I'll have to run VirtualBox inside it as well.

Any help will be seriously appreciated, I've been struggling with this for the past 4 days.



Submitted September 30, 2017 at 09:14PM by doctor_awful http://ift.tt/2kbnPZ9

No comments:

Post a Comment