Saturday 30 September 2017

I need something like a router, but produces a 'mobile hotspot' instead.

OS: Windows 10

Okay, so in my fucking archaic university halls, we only have wired internet connection, and we aren't allowed to buy/use our own routers - however, we are allowed to produce a mobile hotspot from our laptops/PCs. Apparently there is a difference in wifi using mobile hotspot vs routers, something to do with IPs?

I can effectively produce a hotspot from my laptop, although the hotspot likes to switch itself off a lot, and it is annoying to always plug the ethernet into it. I can only sometimes produce a hotspot from my PC, but most the time I try it breaks LAN connection for some reason (it won't detect that an ethernet is connect, then it will autoswitch of mobile hotspot, and then ethernet will be detected again).

Is there a device that will work the same way as a mobile hotspot, which can be used like a router?

I might also just buy a router and see if i can make it work anyway.



Submitted September 30, 2017 at 03:43PM by FIREATWlLL http://ift.tt/2fzqqqM

No comments:

Post a Comment