Thursday 30 November 2017

Tools or Solutions to Throttle Bandwidth on Windows 10 Home Edition Patching

Hey folks, I was wondering if any of you have any sage advice or a direction you can point me in for solving this problem:

Dealing with Windows 10 at the workplace is not a huge issue most of the time, but many members of my family have Windows 10 Home Edition on their systems at home. Every time Microsoft puts updates, usually on patch tuesday, it absolutely kills my home network. I mean that every iota of bandwidth is just sucked up, sometimes for an entire day or longer.

Changing to a better router that can handle QOS is not an option (for good reasons I won't go into here).

Upgrading them all to Professional Edition in not an option because of cost and my own time/sanity.

I've made some valiant attempts at playing around with plenty of registry keys, but I just haven't found a combination that really works. I've been able to move the download from the Delivery Optimization service to BITS, but BITS still seems to grab up alot of bandwidth when its wants it. There is a registry setting to change the maxbandwidth, but just from my own experimentation it either seems to set the speed to absolute trickle or back to full force (or the variation was just coincidence during experimentation).

So, my question to you folks: Is there a good tool to manage this on the client side? Or a proven method that I can implement on Windows 10 Home Edition?

Note: I mistakenly posted this to /r/sysadmin. xposting here because it is more appropriate.



Submitted December 01, 2017 at 02:39AM by necropantser http://ift.tt/2BAY5K8

No comments:

Post a Comment