Saturday 28 April 2018

Local WiFi fast, "Internet WiFi" slow

OK bear with me I'm dealing with a strange phenomenon. And before you disregard my problem as "bro Wifi is just slow get an Ethernet cable lol" hear me out please!

I've got a new router, has the latest and greatest 802.11ac capabilities. And I have a 100Mbps down 10Mbps up DSL connection.

The WiFi is great. I can transfer files between my Notebook (Wifi) to my Desktop (Ethernet) at over 30MegaBYTES per second (~240Mbit/s). Even between my Notebook and another Notebook on the same network.

However, accessing anything from the internet, the WiFi is a lot slower. Obviously the upper limit would be my internet connection (100Mbps), but I'm not even getting close that. Sometimes I get 40Mbps, sometimes only 10. I tried at least 10 different speedtests, downloading files from high speed servers, downloading from Steam, it's all the same.

The internet connection itself is good, too, though, because via Ethernet I get the full 100Mbps, all the time.

Edit: Its a TP link router with OpenWrt/LEDE btw



Submitted April 28, 2018 at 11:01PM by ExoticReference https://ift.tt/2r66OzG

No comments:

Post a Comment