Sunday 29 April 2018

Important folder disappeared without a trace from my PC. Very worried my PC is compromised.

So, I had a folder with that had my most important details saved in various documents on my PC. I just recently noticed that this single folder has completely disappeared from my PC without a trace:

  • I've searched my entire PC and it's not been accidentally moved into another folder.
    • I searched my recycle bin, no trace of it or any of its documents there.
    • When I open up Word I can see some the titles of the documents that once existed in that folder, along with that document's destination in that missing folder in the 'Recent Documents' function in word - but if I try to click and open on any of the recent documents, it just gives an invalid destination error.
    • I've run a full AVG and a full Malwarebytes scan of my PC: 0 threats were found.
    • I backed up the that folder and its contents a while ago, so I was able to access its files safely on another PC.

What makes me worried is that I can't think of any possible explanation for this apart from someone having remote access to my PC somehow. How could it be the single most important and sensitive folder disappeared from my PC and everything else has been left untouched (as far as I can tell).
The fact that there is nothing in the recycling bin raises the possibility that the folder was shredded, if the PC was remotely accessed.

Nobody else could have had any physical access to my PC, and my PC and the documents are password protected (but I guess a determined hacker could bypass these). I definitely didn't accidentally delete the folder (in which case it would have been in the recycling bin) and I certainly did not shred it or its contents.

I can't think of any other explanation for this apart from my PC being compromised somehow. If this is the case, would it be wise to contact the organisations whose details of mine were in that folder to let them know of potential identity theft/fraud? That's what I'm really worried about, and I'm not sure if I'm rushing to conclusions or not, or whether this is a sensible action to take and if I should do this ASAP.

Finally I've become scared to use that PC now since I'm worried it's compromised. Is there any way to know if my PC is safe or if it has been remotely accessed?

Thanks for any help.



Submitted April 30, 2018 at 05:11AM by Frystall3 https://ift.tt/2KqouyP

No comments:

Post a Comment