Monday 30 April 2018

Trying to find out an issue with a video card

My daughter has a 1060 gtx 6gb. Her video driver a few times a day would just bail (a pop up box would say so or a BSOD would. Such are in the system event log). Though she's a gamer it would crash when she wasn't playing games at random times. From what I could see, the card wasn't running particularly hot. Also, the particular games she plays aren't, as I understand it, on the front line of maxing out a GPU (no FPS games).

As a sanity check on her card, i.e. in the electrical sense, I had her boot into safe mode and it was OK but there's so much different there (besides the non-loading of the nvidia driver, which was the point, it's also, as per safe mode limitations, running only 1 monitor at 1280x1024 vs her normal 2 monitors at 2560x1440). So, I figured it must be a device driver conflict but I didn't see anything unusual in her startup if device drivers.

I also, based on a post I stumbled onto in an Nvidia forum I think, from the BIOS tried setting the PCIEe revision down to 2.0 (it was set at "auto" which I'm sure translated to 3.0 for the 1060) just to see if it was bus/stress related. That didn't help either.

As it turns out, I myself have a 970gtx. So, I did an experiment. I swapped cards without even removing/updating/changing the drivers. I figured if there was an issue with the actual card my machine would now crash and if there was an issue with the drivers hers still would. It seemed a better option than trying every driver (i.e. not starting each driver...or perhaps sets of them) to see which one(s) was the issue. Well, it's been running for a day and neither machine has a problem. So, now I'm just baffled.

Note, she's had this problem for a while so she's tried various revisions of the drivers (latest and various old versions). Also, she's runing win7. I'm running win10. As I understand it, they use the save nvidia drivers. In any event, I don't see why my 970 would work in her computer when her 1060 wouldn't.

At this point, what's left? I guess regardless of the fact I didn't change the drivers, the drivers internally could be running different some code (maybe it detects the specific gpu model when it loads and loads/runs different pieces of the driver based on that?). That seems highly unlikely. I guess it could be that the mobo and card timings with respect to PCIe are slightly different? That seems unlikely (she has a new ASUS mobo. So, I think that's even more absurd and even more so considering I've tried PCIe 2.0 .) So, nothing seems likely to me at this point.

Any suggestions?



Submitted April 30, 2018 at 10:36PM by duckandcover https://ift.tt/2FsGKUL

No comments:

Post a Comment