Saturday 28 April 2018

Strange problem with SSD's

Hi, recently upgraded my CPU and whilst I had my PC apart I decided to give it a blast of air to get rid of all the dust that had built up. In doing so I went to spray the CPU socket (minus the CPU) and the nozzle blew off the can an smacked into the pins! After much swearing and sweating I managed to return the bent pins back to their former positions and powered on and got to the BIOS post screen where it asked me to confirm setting for the new CPU.

I did this and all seemed well, it rebooted, the bios posted and recognized the new CPU and then went on to start loading Windows. Suddenly it told me there was a problem with my PC (win 10 BSOD) and it then showed a screen where it said it was repairing errors on the disk. So I leave it for over 3 hours but nothing seems to be happening.

I restart the PC and it boots past the BIOS fine and goes into recovery mode. I try resetting Windows but then it says "There was a problem resetting Windows. No changes were made."

So I think great I've bricked my SSD. I decided to try it out in my laptop and switched the SSD's over, and see that the SSD from my PC is not even being seen at all by my laptop. I then decide to just quickly try my laptops SSD in my PC, and for some reason the BIOS shows it connected to SATA1 fine but strangely will not boot from it and it tries to boot from CD...

This worries me, so I switch it back into the laptop, but it is fine and it boots into Windows with no problems. Hmmm.

Now this is very strange to me. I have my PC's SSD which is recognized by my PC and it even tries to repair it, but is not seen at all by my laptop. And then I have my laptop SSD which I know works fine (I'm using it to make this post) but will not work in my PC (even though the BIOS detects it fine).

Now I am on the verge of ordering a new SSD and Motherboard (because of the bending pins incident) but I am just wondering if anybody here can shed some light on what the hell is going on? Have I created a short in the CPU socket? Has it fried my SSD and SATA connections on my motherboard? I am really really confused...



Submitted April 29, 2018 at 03:25AM by lysergicdreamer https://ift.tt/2HSRUaD

No comments:

Post a Comment