Monday 30 April 2018

MBR Error

Hi r/techsupport

While the issue I have now is somewhat different to the one I had before I will preface this post with the post I made to tomshardware which will cover some old details that are still relevant:

"I originally had my OS (Windows 8) on my 1TB hard drive (E:) but I bought an SSD (C:) and decided to install a new version of win 10 on it for faster boot times.

This worked fine for about 2 years but about 4 months ago I started getting an error where I would boot into the SSD but instead of windows I would first get "MBR Error 1, press any key to book from floppy disc" and then after pressing a key "MBR Error 2, press any key to book from floppy disc", which would re-print to the screen with every key press.

I worked out that I could get it to boot into windows on the SSD by booting first into the old HDD's windows 8 and then when prompted selecting the option to load into windows 10 on the SSD.

This worked well for about 4 months until I recently started getting random BSODs with the stop code "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT".

To fix the BSODs I tried: - Updating BIOs - Scanning for viruses - Performing Windows memory diagnostic - Removing CMOS battery (this appeared to work but it eventually started happening again)

Then, thinking that solving the MBR Error might fix it i tried: - going through these steps: https://pureinfotech.com/repair-master-boot-record-mbr-... - bootrec /fixmbr returns "The operation completed successfully" - bootrec /fixboot returns "Access is denied" (Despite the cmd window being titled "Administrator: ..." - bootrec /scanOS returns "Successfully scanned windows installations. Total identified windows installations: 1 [1] C:\Windows (this is the SSD windows 10) the operation completed successfully"

- bootrec /rebuildBCD + pressing "Y" when prompted returns "the requested system device cannot be found"

I'm quite unsure how to proceed now, if anyone has any advice I would appreciate it immensely."

Since the posting of this thread a week ago, I tried a few other things with the recovery drive and miraculously the C drive (SSD) became bootable. To check if this was always the case I removed the E drive (HDD) and much to my disappointment, I was met with a message: Reboot and Select proper boot device.

TL;DR - I have a windows 10 installation on my C drive that I use, and an old half- (manually) deleted windows 8 installation on my E drive, which I now use for storing photos and movies etc. It appears that the boot record on the SSD is corrupt and as such the only way to boot into it is to 'attempt to boot into the win 8 installation on the E drive' and then when prompted choose win 10 on the C drive. How do I fix this without having to format the SSD and reinstall windows.

Thanks,

Hugo



Submitted April 30, 2018 at 12:28PM by Hugo0076 https://ift.tt/2r8QluF

No comments:

Post a Comment