Monday 30 April 2018

Found an old TI-83 Plus

Hi!

Yesterday evening my wife found my old TI-83 Plus calculator in what seemed to be in good condition lying in a box up in the attic. I bought it in 2006, it was a requirement for the studies that I took at the time, but for various reasons it was barely used. Anyhow, she picked it up, flipped it over, and checked the condition of the AAA-batteries. Sure enough, they were quite old, but they hadn’t leaked all too bad. She decided to take it back to our apartment whereas I then carefully removed the old batteries, and checked the springs. They’re all in good condition.

Anyhow, this morning – whilst the calculator had been left without batteries overnight – I bought four new AAA-batteries and carefully put them in. (One can never be too careful, am I right?) I’ve ensured that the springs are working just fine and that the AAA-batteries are positioned properly. So I close it, flip it over down onto its back, place it down on the table, press the ON-button… and then this is happens.

I began googling for answers about this and found a few tips, so I’ve tried the following four suggestions:

Steps Tip № 1 Tip № 2 Tip № 3 Tip № 4
Step № 1 Remove one AAA-battery. Remove one AAA-battery. Remove one AAA-battery. Remove all AAA-batteries.
Step № 2 Press and hold the CLEAR-button for 5 seconds, and then release. Press and hold the DEL-button for 5 seconds, and then release. Press and hold the CLEAR-button. Press and hold the ON-button for 30 seconds.
Step № 3 Reinsert the AAA-battery. Reinsert the AAA-battery. While holding down the CLEAR-button, reinsert the AAA-battery. Reinsert all AAA-batteries.
Step № 4 Start the calculator by pressing the ON-button. Start the calculator by pressing the ON-button. Start the calculator by pressing the ON-button. Start the calculator by pressing the ON-button.
Step № 5 The calculator should now display the following message: “RAM cleared.”
Step № 6 To remove this message, release the CLEAR-button and press the CLEAR-button one more time.

The display is acting up, the tips here above doesn’t seem to solve it, and I honestly don’t know how to tackle this. Where I’m from, this calculator still seems to cost quite a bit of money, so just throwing it away isn’t a decision that I’d immediately like to make. I could perhaps buy the necessary tools and open it up, but I’m really not a practical kind of guy. Besides, my wife’s really into highly advanced math whilst I, however, am not. Not even remotely. But I thought that getting this calculator up and running would make her really happy, and that it could aid her in the math studies.

Any ideas?



Submitted April 30, 2018 at 04:00PM by c0224v2609 https://ift.tt/2jhx4Uj

No comments:

Post a Comment