Wednesday 31 January 2018

2011 build won't boot, won't POST, no beeps

Operating System

Windows 10

Computer Specs (PSU, GPU, CPU, RAM, Motherboard)

OCZ 500 W semi-mod power supply

EVGA GTX 560

Unknown Sandy Ridge i5 - I forget which exact model - stock cooler, no OC

2x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600

ASRock z68m/USB3 motherboard

Description of problem

I moved a few months back, and my buddy let me store some of my stuff at his place, including this PC. Due to circumstances, I only got it back about a month ago, and only tried plugging it in and turning it on a little over a week ago. It was stored inside, so controlled climate, but I'm not sure if he may have moved - or possibly even dropped - the box it was in.

There is no visible damage to any component, except preexisting bending of the side panel from when my dumb ass mushed it before putting it together - and it worked for almost 7 years with that.

When I hit the power button, all fans and HDD spin up and the power light comes on, but there is no POST beep and the monitor never receives a signal, from either of the GPU ports or the onboard video port.

I got out all the dust I can without using a rag or vacuum, which I don't want to do for obvious reasons. There is no visible debris that could cause a short.

I tested the PSU with a multimeter and, while voltages are a little bit off, they're within spec:

  • 5V lines test as 5.14- 5.2V

  • 3.3V lines test as 3.4V

  • 12V lines test as 12.2V

  • -12V line tests as -11.5V

  • All COM test as 0.0V

I can get it to give a series of three ~1s beeps by removing both memory sticks. It made the same beeps with the RAM in but the CPU cooler removed. So obviously the onboard speaker is working. It wouldn't power on at all with the CPU removed (probably a good thing...)

It will spin up the fans and HDD with the video card removed, but no beep and no signal over onboard video. It'll spin up the fans with the HDD unplugged, but same, no beep and no onboard video.

I've tried with both RAM sticks in, both out (with above results), and each stick one at a time in each slot. Same deal.

I've replaced the CMOS battery, and a couple times removed it and wall power for long enough for the CMOS to reset. I haven't tried using the CMOS reset jumpers.

When this issue began

Found out about a week and a half ago

Recurring issue

Yes, I guess?

Date of purchase

2011

Under Warranty

No

Cause/Steps to recreate the issue

See above description

What I've tried so far to resolve the issue

See above description



Submitted February 01, 2018 at 02:20AM by bigscience87 http://ift.tt/2FxdGf8

No comments:

Post a Comment