Friday 30 June 2017

UEFI Boot Devices on Dell XPS 8900 - Windows 10 Update issues

My primary machine is a modified Dell XPS8900. It came with a standard SATA hard drive, but I upgraded it with a PCI M.2 expansion slot and a Samsung 950 Pro SSD as my primary boot/OS drive.

I'm running Windows 10, and it flies, it's a great machine. I have one minor annoyance. I still have the hard drive installed as a tertiary backup (games and apps live on a Mushkin 1TB SATA SSD). Whenever Windows updates it changes some setting in the BIOS that causes the machine to look at the physical HD as a boot drive, and locks up the boot. I can resolve by going into the BIOS settings and unchecking the HD as a bootable option, but with the frequency of Windows updates that's becoming a pain in the ass.

Any tips? Format the HD as a last resort? Can I just nuke the MBR on it and it won't be seen? I can reboot a hundred times in a row without a Windows update and everything will be fine, but after an update the problem re-occurs.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, I've done some Google due diligence but can't seem to find a solution.

Thanks!



Submitted June 30, 2017 at 06:56PM by drfsrich http://ift.tt/2txpKv3

No comments:

Post a Comment