Thursday 29 June 2017

Inconsistent Crashing During Gaming

Semi-recently I upgraded my PC by buying: a refurbished Giggabyte GA-B85M-DS3H-A motherboard; a ASUS ROG Radeon RX 470 with 4GBs video ram; and a EVGA 600 B1 600w PSU. Since the upgrade, I have been having somewhat random computer crashes. I'm kind of certain it is related to my graphics card however.

When I am playing the following games; GMod, CS:GO, TF2, Heros of the Storm, Sanctum 2, Portal 2, Faster Than Light, Tabletop Simulator and probably others I can not recall: I crash. While these games; Awesomenauts, Overwatch, Sanctum 2, Super Meat Boy, Minecraft, Sniper Elite v2, Robocraft, Rocket Leuege, Stronghold Crusader HD, Civ 5, From the Depths and also probably others I've forgotten: I do not crash. Some of these games, Overwatch, have way more hours in them than the ones that have reliably caused crashing.

The reason I specify inconsistent crashing is for multiple reasons. 1) The majority of crashes seem to be at random times. Sometimes a level will crash multiple times, sometimes the same level will not cash at all. 2) Some games it takes place every time a specific event happens. (GMod crashes whenever water particles are played.) 3) Will rotate through games. HotS can be played for weeks at a time with no crashing, then crash during every load. The crashes themselves are pretty inconsistent as well.

In all of the crashes, the screen goes black. In the most often crash, the audio of background tasks will be fine however the foreground task will be stuck on the last played sound. People in teamspeak will sometimes be able to hear me speak even after the crash. Using teamviewer, I have tried to connect to my computer during one of these crashes but teamviewer errors out when I do. The rarest crash actually causes my computer to full turn off and instantly POST again.

I've tried almost every released driver for my graphics card, as I bought the card at release. I even tried contacting ASUS support and using some of the drivers they recommended. I tried using just dedicated graphics and had no crashing. I monitored heat and the hottest the computer has gotten is 73c. I tried fully wiping my hard drive, including windows 10. I wondered if it was PSU, but my old psu was 300 watts lower, and all I /really/ upgraded was my GPU in terms of wats. I checked event viewer and the only error leading up to it (or rather after it) is kernel throwing unexpected shutdown. Directx Diagnostic claims that "everything is working." At this point, I'm semi-certain it is a hardware issue, but before sending my card to the shop wanted to get some other input.



Submitted June 30, 2017 at 04:28AM by Miss_Potato http://ift.tt/2ts7suh

No comments:

Post a Comment