Thursday 29 June 2017

New Rig randomly rebooted into BIOS, now freezes at Windows login

A lot of this information is second hand as I built this for my father's small business office. TL;DR at bottom.
 
Everything went fine during the build and setup. The only thing I noticed was that the system clock was way off, not just hours, but minutes as well. But whatever, I fixed it and everything was fine. Then a few days later I hear that it's randomly rebooting itself into the main bios screen. Once it gave a boot priority error, which I just fixed by setting the SSD to option #1, and the other two times it just randomly rebooted into the main BIOS screen. I thought maybe it was a CMOS battery issue and checked that as well as removing it and putting it back in to reset the BIOS. After that it booted fine and was working normally for a full day.
 
That was yesterday...but then today it rebooted itself again and after doing what I normally did, it freezes at the Windows login screen. I tried multiple times and it either didn't make it to windows, or froze at the screen.
 
I figured enough was enough and removed the SSD to try and get some data off it to move to a back up PC that the office could use in the mean time. After abandoning that, I hooked it back up and now the SSD isn't being recognized at all. It's not listed in the boot options and won't boot into windows.
 
I'm not sure what to RMA. Something is obviously wrong, but is it the SSD, the mobo, or the CPU? The SSD not being detected obviously makes me think that's screwed, but the other problems make me think motherboard. How do I determine what is wrong and what to return/replace? Everything worked fine 95% of the time since Saturday. 4 reboots into BIOS were the only issues until today when it finally just locked up completely. I was going to give it until the end of tomorrow to see if it would have another error, and it did.
 
So what do I do next? Sorry for the long post?
 
TL;DR
 
1: 4 random reboots into BIOS/Boot Priority Error that were easily fixed.
 
2: Worked fine since Saturday other than the above problem, today it rebooted itself and now locks on Windows screen or before.
 
3: Now the SSD isn't being recognized in the BIOS.
 
4: I'm told that there was a beep code error twice. Once 4 beeps, another said 5 beeps. I wasn't there to confirm.

PCPartPicker part list

Type Item
CPU Intel - Pentium G4560 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor
Motherboard Gigabyte - GA-H110M-A Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory Crucial - 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory
Storage SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Video Card PowerColor - Radeon HD 6770 1GB Video Card
Case Rosewill - FBM-01 MicroATX Mini Tower Case
Power Supply EVGA - 430W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive Asus - DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer
Operating System Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

 
Obviously this seems like just a DOA SSD, but would that explain the random reboots?



Submitted June 29, 2017 at 09:41PM by Sabiancym http://ift.tt/2tpSCnY

No comments:

Post a Comment