Friday 30 June 2017

Connection loss every other minute

Operating System

Windows 10

Model of modem, router, or other devices

FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable

IP Configuration

http://ift.tt/2urMQiS

When the issue began

When connecting an older PC to the network

Recurring issue

Yes

Date of purchase

N/A

Description of problem

Earlier this year I brought an old(ish) PC from my parents house to my new home, primarily so I have a desktop pc for university stuff. We have a 100 Mbit/s connection which before all of this started worked without any issues. Besides the PC we have a laptop, two mobile phones and a television connected to the network via W-Lan.

Right after I connected the PC to the network (via cable) the connection started to drop every other minute for about 30 seconds up to a minute. Sometimes it is much more frequent, to the point where it is practically a complete connection loss, sometimes it is less frequent. When the connection is there the speed still seems to be much slower than it should be, especially for downloads (which are also a pain because they get disrupted a lot). This problem is not isolated to the old PC, but occurs for the whole network simultaniously. While this is happening the network symbol from windows usually doesn't register it as a disconnection and thinks the connection is still up.

Cause/Steps to recreate the issue

Persistent issue.

What I've tried so far to resolve the issue

Since I don't have the expertise to make educated guesses to what this might cause it I only tried some google solutions so far.

I read that routers have a finite amount of space for solving problems with the connection and that when this space is filled up (for example by an old computer having lots of problems) problems like this could happen. It was recommended to reset the router to factory settings, which resolved the problem for 1-2 days until it came back again.

Scans with Malwarebytes, Avira and Spybot didn't resolve the problem either.

Just to be sure I completely wiped the pc and did a fresh install of windows 10 while also resetting the router again. This helped for almost a week, then the problem came back and further router resets solve it only for a day or two again.

The timing of this makes me think that it has to be the old PC causing this, but since it is still a problem after a fresh install I can only guess that it is either something with the hardware of the PC, or it was some kind of malware that infested the other devices on the network.

Again, this is not an area I have much knowledge of, so I have no clue if my suspicions have merit or how to find out what is causing this/ find a solution, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Let me know if I need to provide more information/logs of something.



Submitted June 30, 2017 at 07:55PM by Yoranox http://ift.tt/2tu0XXA

No comments:

Post a Comment