Monday 29 May 2017

New Graphics Card Keeps Going to Black Screen Randomly

I've recently installed a Radeon 6870 HD PowerColour into my PC, and I keep experiencing the following symptoms, normally about an hour after startup, with no clear reason as far as I can tell:

-First, my screen will change to entirely black (but my monitor won't go to sleep, meaning it's still receiving a signal).
-Then, all audio will also stop a few seconds later, and be replaced by a 'burrrrr' sound.
-Then, I will have to hard shut down my PC by holding down the power button for a few seconds, as I've lost control of the computer.

I've tried a number of solutions to this problem:

-I've uninstalled all drivers using the AMD Cleanup Utility, CC Cleaner and Display Driver Uninstaller and reinstalled them.
-I've set the fan speed to 80% to make sure it's not the card overheating (the card does idle at 41C, but will crash both during fullscreen gaming and while playing non-HD, non-fullscreen YouTube videos so I don't think it's an overheating problem anyway).
-I've removed the card and dusted both it and the PCIe slot using a can of compressed air.

Here are my system specs:

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500
Operating System: Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z68A-D3
Memory: 2x2GB Corsair DDR3 1600mhz XMS3 and 2x2GB Corsair DDR3 1333mhz XMS3
Hard Drives: 500GB S-ATAII and 1TB S-ATAIII
Solid State Drive: Kingston 128MB S-ATAIII
Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 6870 1GB PowerColour
PSU: 700W Xigmatek

Thank you for any help!



Submitted May 30, 2017 at 04:36AM by ElderNaphtol http://ift.tt/2qtgwyL

No comments:

Post a Comment