Tuesday 30 May 2017

What are some good, preferably free, antiviruses that you would recommend? Am I safe to uninstall Norton and McAfee, with Panda alone?

Disclaimer: I'm new to this community, so I apologize if this question belongs elsewhere! I also apologize if I'm not using the correct terminology; I'm not the most knowledgable when it comes to computer/tech stuff.

So my desktop computer (running Windows 7) came with McAfee and Norton pre-installed, and I've relied on them until yesterday. I put up with their constant spamming, because hey, at least they were working, right?

Wrong. I used a free antivirus a tech-savvy friend recommended called "Panda" (my computer had been running slowly), and discovered 3 Trojans and 2 other "security threats" (plus a ton of cookies)...which I can't account for. For context, I've only had the computer for 6 years, and use the internet pretty exclusively for checking my email, social media, and research for my classes. I haven't opened any sketchy emails or attachments, and don't visit disreputable websites (at least I don't think so). The security threats have since been addressed via Panda, and my computer is running much faster now.

So my questions are: am I safe to get rid of/uninstall McAfee and Norton (so I'll finally not have to deal with the onslaught of notifications), with Panda alone? Are there other free antiviruses that you would recommend (I know there is a lot on this particular topic online, but I'm not really sure what to trust)? Is there merit to having more than one? Finally, do you have any other insight as to how to avoid malware in the future (I thought I had been prudent, but I'm clearly missing something)?

Thank you so much in advance for your assistance and insight!



Submitted May 30, 2017 at 08:24PM by Anne_Anonymous http://ift.tt/2rgFRJv

No comments:

Post a Comment