Wednesday 31 May 2017

Network (internet) congestion issue that is driving me nuts

I am having connection issues with two websites and I just can't seem to figure out where the issue is. So at about 8 to 10pm every night my connection to Twitch.tv drops dramatically, it goes down to about 1200 to 2000 Kbps. Being as it happens almost like clockwork this tells me the path to the site is congested. During this time I can connect to every other website I've tested just fine though, no slow down issues at all.

This makes me think there is a node somewhere that is at capacity. I run a trace route to live.twitch.tv and it goes perfectly, I connect to their servers in 40 milliseconds, and there is never any ping spikes. None of the hops show any kind of latency. When I run a speed test on speedtest.net it shows my connection is fine. Same with Fast.com. When I use testmy.net though, it shows the slow down.

No hops show obvious congestion and only two websites are affected, my initial thought now is a node must be close to capacity and activates some sort of throttling, so connections go through it just fine but with a capped bitrate. If this were the case though, wouldn't other websites be affected too?

There is obviously nothing I can do to fix this but i'm just trying to figure out the reason. What are your thoughts?

Edit: if it matters any. My ISP hands off to Hurricane Electric and I travel down their network to get to Twitch.



Submitted June 01, 2017 at 07:02AM by TipsyPickle http://ift.tt/2sg92wh

No comments:

Post a Comment