Tuesday 30 May 2017

I can't find a sustainable backup solution for Windows

I've recently migrated my work (music production, video/graphics editing) to a Windows Desktop from Macbook Pro. I can get twice the work done with the speed this computer has!

I have been a Windows user since 3.1 and I have only ever used my Macs for work stuff. I have used a combination of Time Machine and Carbon Copy Cloner to backup my valuable data when working on Mac.

After switching to PC, I have not found anything that even comes close to the data-security and easily restorable files.

Please enlighten me!

After using File History in Windows 10 for two weeks, I am surprised at how horrible this tool is:

  • It doesn't delete old backups automatically when the hard drive gets full - I have to manually select to delete either from months back or everything up to the latest. These are my choices. I have only used my new PC for two weeks - so having to delete everything except the latest backup just doesn't make sense to me.
  • It doesn't give any indication of how much data is transferring or how much data/time is left before the backup has finished. It just says "Backing up..." and I have no idea whether it has 100GB or 100MB to go.
  • It never backs up automatically even though it is set to automatically back up every hour. I have to manually click "back up now" every time.

With Time Machine I get:

  • Incremental backups with file versioning of all files on the whole hard drive - not just select folders.
  • It automatically runs in the background.
  • It automatically deletes the oldest backups when the hard drive gets full.
  • When it is running a backup, I get a status indicating how much data is being transferred - it will say "Preparing backup" and then it says "Backing up - 400 mb left" for example.

Is there any 3rd party Windows software that comes close to Time Machine? File versioning is a must have because working with music projects I often have to go back and find an earlier edit of a song or a sample. Auto-delete old backups would also be very nice to have.

I am open to cloud-based backups with this functionality, but I like to keep my computer offline so I won't get distracted so a local backup would definitely be preferred.

Thanks in advance!

My specs:

Windows 10 Pro x64

500GB SSD

AMD Ryzen 1600

2TB HDD

1TB HDD

500GB HDD (external)



Submitted May 31, 2017 at 12:04AM by guessworks http://ift.tt/2rhaMoP

No comments:

Post a Comment