Friday 30 March 2018

Windows 10 suddenly fails to boot with 0xc000014c BCD related issue

Funny enough just two days ago it happened to me on my personal machine and today a client called me with the same problem. In both my case and his case booting to Windows Creation USB got me into the Advanced Options but System Restore and Startup Repair failed to find the Windows partition in order for them proceed. I was able to see the C partition in its entirety from the command prompt. I tried the various bootrec commands with no luck.

In the case of my machine after doing all of this with no luck and after many many reboot attempts suddenly for no reason it booted back up and has been fine since

For the client doing all the same procedures got me a bit further. Suddenly after many attempts at the procedures above including system restore which failed to find Windows for whatever reason after a few more reboots to the Creation USB suddenly system restore was able to find Windows and subsequent restore point and was able to finished successfully. But upon reboot I still ended up with the same boot failure.

Decided to take the the computer with me seeing as it appeared this wasn't going to easy. Got it back to home to my bench figuring I'd wind up having to do reload but figured I'd spend a bit more time on some other possible fixes. Never got to pursue that because upon first powering it up when I got it home low and behold it booted up normally and is back in Windows like nothing happened.

Oh and both my clients case and my with own computer I ran hard drive SMART and Short tests found and both of them passed.

I am suspecting some sort of Windows Update might be responsible for this but it doesn't explain it spontaneously correcting itself.

Any ideas or recent similar experiences



Submitted March 30, 2018 at 11:43PM by amn70 https://ift.tt/2pRCU2e

No comments:

Post a Comment