Friday 30 March 2018

I'm looking for a way to share files between my desktop and laptop.

Here's the situation: I use my laptop at the office and around town. My desktop stays home. My laptop and desktop are almost never together (what a tragedy). I'd like to be able to link the computers together so I can work on files regardless of where I am.

As it stands I have a few options:

  1. USB
  2. Google Drive or DropBox
  3. Server
  4. VPN

    USB is a good option. It's cheap, offline, and quick. However, I might lose it and I'll have to remember to "update" the files regularly. In the event I do lose it or forget the USB I'll be left without the files to work on until I get another usb.

Google Drive, DropBox, or other online services make it easier to share those files without any extra parts, are free/cheap, and can sync files online. My only quarrel would be how trustworthy these companies could be. I don't have any top secret info, but I'd like to be able to share my files without worrying about what they could do with the data I upload. What if my files were hacked and someone was able to find personal data?

Server. Honestly, I have no info other than that they can cost too much work and money.

VPN is something that just came to me while writing this. I could have a storage device that is always on and connected to the wifi at home. I could use VPN to share those files from my laptop over the internet (securely?) to the storage device and then access it on my desktop over the wifi. Although, I don't know how safe, efficient, or cost-effective it would be.

Any recommendations?



Submitted March 30, 2018 at 02:50PM by Nincadalop https://ift.tt/2pQaGVQ

No comments:

Post a Comment