Thursday 29 March 2018

Monitor power draw?

So I have an interesting conundrum. I have a pretty nice system, and I recently bought a new monitor. I usually run a tri-screen display and I have no issues. I just upgraded my 2nd monitor from a 1080p 60Hz model, to a 1080p 144Hz model that runs on display port instead of DVI. So now I have two 144Hz primary monitors and a big screen TV all plugged into my computer.

But here lies the issue. The new monitor, doesn't have a power brick, as I'm accustomed to. Instead it plugs directly from the back of the monitor to the power strip. Ever since I've been using this new monitor, my computer will not turn on from a complete shut down, unless I unplug the monitor, and then after I get the computer to post, I can plug the monitor back in. I'm wondering if this is some sort of power draw problem. Especially since my motherboard gives me a "power surge " notification if I don't unplug the monitor first.

I've never had any issues before, and it's not tripping the breaker, and shouldn't seeing as though the wall should support something ridiculous like 1,800W. Also both of my power strips are of very high quality. However I do not own a UPS.

PC specs: ASUS Z-170 pro gaming motherboard

CPU - i5 6600K kaby lake processor - OC 4.5GHz - 1.29V

RAM - 2x 8GB DDR4 OC @ 3200 MHz

GPU - ASUS ROG STRIX 1070 OC 2054 MHz - Memory clock @ 8014

700w power supply silver

2 Hard drives (1 TB WD Blue each 7,200 rpm)

WD Blue 500GB Internal SSD

5 case fans (120 MM)

Corsair H110 AIO (I think, might be the bigger model)

Pirmary Monitor acer KG240 @ 144Hz w/ Displayport

Secondary Monitor Acer GN246HL @ 144Hz w DVI

Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 Computer Speakers

Razer Taipan mouse

Razer Blackwidow Chroma Keyboard

But yeah like I said, my computer works fine (and still works fine with the old monitor if I swap it back) no graphical issues, no slow downs. Just wont turn on if the new monitor is plugged in at startup.

Note: I haven't tried unplugging other peripherals to see if this works as well.

I'm really stumped as far as this is concerned. Seeing as my entire system shouldn't pull more than 500-600W and I've got a 700W power supply.



Submitted March 29, 2018 at 10:39PM by GimmieDaBigBepis https://ift.tt/2GBOMPE

No comments:

Post a Comment