Friday 30 March 2018

How to decrypt files encrypted by a user that does not exist anymore. [Windows 7]

A few years ago I wanted to keep my sister from accessing my files so I went to properties>general>advanced>encrypt contents to secure data

I thought this would let me add a password to my data but apparently not. The filenames turned green, but that was basically the extent of the visible effects. Turns out my sister wasn't interested in my files anyway. However, recently the computer crashed during a thunderstorm or something, and they called a technician to repair it. I don't live here anymore, so I don't know precisely what happened to the computer. My computer used to have two accounts. One was the admin account and one extra that I created for my sister. After the technician came, all my software was uninstalled. Basically the computer was formatted but all the data was still there. That means that in the D drive I have a folder with all my stuff, but it's green, because it was encrypted by the old admin account. Now I can't access any of it. I have many movies and pictures that I would not like to part with. Can they be salvaged? Happy to provide additional details. Thanks.



Submitted March 30, 2018 at 01:17PM by KartoosD https://ift.tt/2J49WEm

No comments:

Post a Comment